Thursday, July 23, 2009

some difficult adjustments:

*nodding my head up-and-down instead of wagging it side-to-side like a slinky pet
*driving a car that holds together more than 10 mph down a road that holds together and not using the horn to try and chat amiably with every other vehicle on the road. driving my own car at all. driving on a particular side of the road (actually, no trouble there so far)
*eating not rice. eating not rice with sharp metal implements.
*placing garbage in the proper receptacle
*respecting/comprehending others' sense of personal space on public transportation (not such an issue here in Vermont)

other than these minor points, i'm doing just fine, thank you. actually, i've just realized my approach to being back from nepal is to try and bring nepal to where i am, often with hilarious results. last week i had my best friend and his dad attempting to scoop rice up with their fingers, while their womenfolk looked on with undisguised, abject horror. it was priceless.

there's a Gary Snyder poem I oughtta quote, if I can locate it . . . or failing that, here's the relevant line: "America, I could almost love you again . . ." Yeah, almost.

No comments:

Post a Comment