Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Notes from a Cookbook to be

I'm finally doing it: throwing together my obsession with food and my increasingly arcane views on health into a sort of manifesto, masquerading as a cookbook. The project's still in its early adolescence, but I see no reason not to provide a taste of it here.

* * *

Guidelines for Cooking and Eating Well:

Base your meals around what’s fresh and in season.
Use all your senses.
Don’t be Afraid of Salt and Oil.
Use Good Ingredients and Be Generous with Them.
Be Mindful of Balance.

Together these add up to a formula for good eating and, through it, satisfaction and health. The first guideline may seem obvious, but the point is often lost on folks: you’ll eat better if you head to the market with an open mind and let yourself be moved by what looks, smells, feels, tastes, and sounds good. That’s where the second rule comes in, obviously. Engage with your ingredients on a visceral level. Then as you head home with a bag full of whatever called out to you, let inspiration for how to use it all come to you. Or if that’s too abstract, start planning your meals as you roam amongst the garden rows, market stalls or aisles. Just don’t let preconceived notions of what you’re going to cook dictate your choices completely. You’ll miss too many delights that way.
My third and fourth rules may come as a surprise, since I’m advocating a certain level of indulgence and claiming to offer a healthy approach at the same time. The idea is that food should be about pleasure, not guilt; depriving ourselves of what satisfies us now is only likely to lead to overindulgence in less wholesome ways later. True, we first need to discern what is truly wholesome and nourishing. And the answers here may be counter-intuitive. After all, we have been trained for a few generations now to avoid so many of the foods we naturally gravitate towards. Nutritional science has by turns steered us harshly away from fats, carbohydrates, sugar, and meat. Every two weeks, it seems, there is a sea change in what is allowed to count as healthy. And partly as a result of this indecision, we find ourselves in the midst of what Michael Pollan calls a “national eating disorder.” We are simultaneously obese and starved for nourishment; record numbers struggle with anorexia. It’s probably not a coincidence that fewer and fewer people spend time cooking, or even feel comfortable in the kitchen. For the question of what to eat is a remarkably simple one (and one that applied science has done more harm than good in trying to answer). Michael Pollan again: Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.
The heart of the answer is incredibly simple: eat food. Real food. The sorts of things people have been eating for millennia. We all know at some level what this means: real, crusty bread that you have to chew; vegetables that aren’t jetlagged from their red-eye flight from another hemisphere; fragrant nut and seed oils and sweet yellow butter; and, yes, meat, from animals that lived happily and healthily and were slaughtered humanely.
Lest this sound too good to be true, there is a mounting movement to support exactly this kind of traditional food and reveal the dangers of modern, industrialized diets. The work of the early 20th Century dentist Weston A Price has been championed by Sally Fallon and others to show that people living on traditional diets tend to be in excellent physical condition and don’t suffer from the degenerative diseases that plague modern Americans. “Traditional diets” means exactly what Michael Pollan does: real food. But some of the details are surprising, because it is often exactly those foods which we’ve been warned against most severely that turn out to be most supportive of good health. A prime example is fat. Fat itself has been demonized, which is absurd since fats are an essential class of macronutrients that we need to produce everything from cell membranes to sex hormones. Simply put, without fat people go crazy, wither away and eventually die. The key, however, is getting the right kind of fat, and this is where the biggest surprise comes in. Because the saturated animals fats that we all “know” are bad for you turn out to be a sheep in wolf’s clothing. Butter, lard, tallow--all of these are life-supporting lipids, provided they themselves come from healthy animals. In this sense the authorities are correct, for most of the butter on the market come from cows raised away from their natural pasture and in factory farms. But real, sweet, yellow butter is out there, too, and worth every penny you pay for it. This kind of butter actually concentrates the nutrients found in green grass, providing a rich source of the omega-3 fatty acids that have emerged recently as so crucial to good health. Lard from pastured pigs is similarly healthy, in proper proportion. Of course, it’s not just animal fat that’s good for us: plant oils are great too, if they’re unrefined. This is what makes extra virgin olive oil so healthy as well as so flavorful. What most people don’t realize is that tons of other seeds and nuts are equally healthy and delicious, if we can get a hold of them in cold-pressed forms. Sunflower, mustard, hazelnut, almond--every edible seed has precious oil locked within.

...But for whom? What the Weston Price/Sally Fallon school of traditional diets tends to gloss over is that not all people are the same. Some of us struggle to keep our weight down, while others can’t ever seem to put on a pound. Some are prone to acne while others have perpetually dry skin. Some people do indeed have to watch their salt intake and blood pressure, while others have to make sure they’re getting enough iron and other nutrients to keep from becoming anemic and having fainting spells.
Almost everybody has an intuitive sense of what’s right for them. Haven’t you ever bitten into a radish or a cucumber and felt unreasonably good? Or eaten a supposedly healthy meal only to find it’s given you gas, or that you’re hungry again 90 minutes later?
A one size fits all approach doesn’t work. This is where traditional ideas from both Eastern and Western traditions can help immensely... (to be continued)

9 comments:

  1. This post on eating is right on target, in my opinion, especially coming from the point of view of being a celiac. In terms of food straight from the environment, we're lucky to be living in VT, but did you know that VT is one of the nation's hungriest states? I was startled when I heard that. So even while theoretically people here should be able to have access to more of these types of foods, in reality, some local Vermonters are priced out of buying from their neighbors because of the weight given to the Vermont brand (and subsequently, the price). I live on a farm in southern VT and this is a very hot and contentious issue down here.

    For the record, I just want to comment that I thoroughly enjoy reading your blog. I stumbled upon it randomly while researching something one day on Nepal (I work at SIT and help run the Nepal and Tibetan Studies programs) and have been reading it ever since. I went to Swat too, but I'm not sure we ever met?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback Chelsea--
    it's really good to know there's still someone out there! i'd begun to wonder.
    the issue of local food being out-of-reach for so many, even (or especially) those who seem like they ought to have easy access, is a tough one. And as you know all too well, it speaks to the fundamental backwardness of our food production system, in which the real costs of cheap food are "externalized," i.e. foisted upon the world at large. I wonder how long this absurdity can go on.
    I'm certainly no economist, but bartering and local currencies seem like they could be part of solution here in VT.
    Interesting to hear about the Nepal/Swat/VT connection! Sounds like we should get together at some point for some daal bhaat (or, more locally, some makai ko dhido). When were you at Swat (I'm class of '06) and in Nepal?

    ReplyDelete
  3. no problem -- you have one loyal reader here, at least over the past few months :)

    I graduated Swat in 05 - and your name sounds familiar though I can't place why. Are you friends with Arpy and Tev? If so, it's possible I met you this summer (while they were building Tev's cabin). What are you up to in VT? Some daal bhaat would be great!

    Have you ever read Barry Schwartz's The Costs of Living? I find the man to be rather perspicacious/insightful on this issue of bartering and how currency originated/ the tradeoffs of this somewhat abrupt revolution and move away from the barter system. The repercussions of this seem so multifaceted and inextricably linked to many problems we're having today, i think, in terms of food, lifestyle, etc., which only get exacerbated the more technology is introduced (on a similar note, have you ever read Ishmael? if so, what are your thoughts? i'd be curious to hear).

    I guess the overriding question is given such systems in place, how do we affect change? (aside from sporadic and transient pockets of societies outside the tradeoffs that modern society places on individuals, such as Burning Man or the campus at Swat). Or rather, do we at all?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I'm friends and very much in cahoots with Tev and Arpy. I was up at the cabin for a couple days in July and August, but I don't think we met. Hmm. Maybe.
    I'll check out the Barry Schwartz book--he's someone I've been vaguely meaning to look into for a while now. Onto the list he goes.
    As for affecting change, not being much a public person and my skepticism and fear of ideologies in general tend to reinforce my essential pessimism about what happens when people get together and try to do things, i.e., about politics. I'm sympathetic to the (admittedly somewhat cliche) idea that change has to begin with the changer, and ripple outwards from there. The paradox that leads me into is that, in order to "be the change I want to see in the world," I would have to essentially drop out of functional society. I mean, I may not be a stereotypical rampaging consumer, but not only do I drive almost every day, but I've flown around the world a few times (and done so in order to learn more about health of all things). Our culture desperately needs to change, but I only see that happening on a mainstream level when our backs are up against the wall. When gas is $50 a gallon, not $5. I've tried to steer clear of doom and gloom-type rants here (with one exception, a post from this past Spring), but I do think it's gonna get a lot worse before it gets better. In my more brooding moments I think about plan B for when systems really start failing (whether in 5 or 50 years), and I'm glad I have a stake in that cabin at Prospero's Island (did you know that's what the old hips called it in the early seventies?) Heading to Nepal has crossed my mind, too--it is at least one country that doesn't have terribly far to fall (except for Kathmandu).
    And Ishmael. I read it quickly a couple years ago, and it made an impact. The main thesis about man taking on nature in what can only be a losing, self-destructive war certainly resonates, though i'm not convinced agriculture is really the root of our problems. I do agree with you, and probably with Daniel Quinn, that technology is not going to get us out of this. It's like thinking that modern medicine is going to find a cure for cancer--as if modernity is not, in some sense, the cause of cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, definitely look into Barry. The Paradox of Choice was excellent as well, albeit like Ishmael or The Omnivore’s Dilemma, I think you only need to read a few chapters to get to the basic premise of his thesis. I found upon graduation from Swat, the book couldn't have been more applicable (likewise, somewhat like the scene in The Poisionwood Bible, his description of the unnecessary and overwhelming variety of consumer items, has forever changed my vision of a supermarket). Isn't it nice when you graduate and realize how brilliant your professors actually are?

    I, too, can’t agree more with this paradoxical idea, that modern society ensnares us in some sort of zero-sum game. There are many things that are wrong, and that I could feel guilty about in terms of sustainable living, or not doing enough (what does that even mean? For what? Society? The world?). On one level, I agree you should be the change you want to see in the world – yes, live your life holistically and happily, and allow your positive energy and optimism and kindness to contribute and affect the energy of those around you. On the other hand, if that would amount to checking out of society completely (which I must admit, sometimes feels a bit of what I’ve done up here), than is that productive to changing anything?

    I should admit here that while I currently manage programs in Nepal and am essentially obsessed with all things Nepali (as well as quite inundated with various facts and literature, as well as language tapes), I’ve never been to the country. It’s a disgrace I’m hoping to correct in the next year. :) I had plans to go during Swat, and with the Maoist insurgency, ended up spending the semester in Stockholm, studying the welfare state and social value tradeoffs. Not a bad replacement (and thoroughly enlightening in terms of how governing bodies can essentially aid in creating specific social values), but still, I’m dreaming of Nepal. On that note, I just applied to grad school to study both language and social/cultural anthropology of the region. I just found out I got in and am excited about the prospect of going though also somewhat wracked with indecision at the moment about the egoism of being a graduate student and all that it entails.

    Will you be going home to NY for the holidays (I can’t remember – I think you said somewhere on your blog you’re from NY)? I’m a Long Islander myself, though I feel much more at home, much more able to breathe, up here than I ever did there. Either way, enjoy your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When reading this post, I couldn't help but think of Nina Planck's "Real Food: What to Eat and Why". Nina's stream of consciousness re real food -- what it entails and not entails, and why we should gravitate towards local seasonal foods rather than processed foods -- resonated throughout your post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jon! (And Chelsea!)
    John Tuthill alerted me to some of the things you were doing and it got me intrigued and looking for your blog, which I finally found and have been reading through and am absolutely loving.
    I hope you don't mind if I pipe into this discussion that you guys actually had over a year ago....but it's not often that I find people discussing topics that are of so much relevence to my life.
    When I saw Weston Price on your list of labels, I was totally intrigued as he is a man who has recently had a huge influence on my life. I had to get 4 fillings at the dentist last year, which shocked me, as I eat relatively healthy, don't eat much candy, and have pretty good oral health habits. I thought, people didn't always use toothbrushes and toothpaste, and I know tooth decay hasn't always existed, so what's going on?
    That's when I came across Price's Nutrition and Physical Degeneration and after reading it everything just made sense - food-wise. I even went so far as to buy myself a blotting brush and for the past 5 months I haven't used a standard toothbrush nor toothpaste. I'll let you know how that goes if you're interested. So far so good!
    The other person who truly changed how I see food is Masanobu Fukokua who wrote 'The One Straw Revolution.' If you're interested in food, the food industry, spirituality and farming, read this book. It will change your life. It changed mine. Fukokua actually came up with many of the ideas we associate with permaculture and Bill Mollison, but well before premaculture came about in the West.
    With regards to affecting change in this incredibly disheartening world, I fully agree with Jon on this one:
    "I'm sympathetic to the (admittedly somewhat cliche) idea that change has to begin with the changer, and ripple outwards from there. The paradox that leads me into is that, in order to "be the change I want to see in the world,"
    I would have to essentially drop out of functional society."
    I have spent my entire existence, at least since I've been cognizant enough to think about these things, wanting to change the world - wanting to help others - wanting to bring peace to war-torn nations and food to the hungry and love to the abused. That's partly why I chose Swarthmore - because of their Lang program - because of their big
    commitment to service. I thought, gee, if I go there, then by the time I get out in the real world, I'll really know of the best way to go about changing it. But I was wrong - instead I left even more confused - my head filled with
    rhetoric - with complex ideas - with analysis - and no closer to becoming a more peaceful and loving person. Nobody teaches you that your heart is your most powerful asset. Nobody bothers to explain that the only way to help others is to help yourself first, and to do so by reconnecting with your heart. It's not flowery stuff. It's the toughest stuff I've ever done. Meditation - self-inquiry but without analysis - without thoughts. Instead simply observing the millions of thoughts that run through my head every second that I am sitting. And trying not to get absorbed in
    any of them. To just watch. To let feelings come up and then fall away. To learn, with time, what it really means to be human and to know my mind. Because without this knowledge, how can I possibly begin addressing all that is going so horribly wrong in this world?

    ReplyDelete
  8. My family thinks I am absolutely crazy. Why on earth would an intelligent, sophisticated and well-traveled Swarthmore graduate who comes from a wealthy family, choose to move out to the country at 26, build herself, by hand, a small simple environmentally friendly house using only recycled and reused materials all for under 10K - with the end goal being of eventually growing her own food, catching all her own water, being off-grid, giving up her car - and quitting her job and the conventional way of life?

    Well the answer is simply that I now know that until I change myself, or change is not the right way of putting it - until I reconnect with my heart, and return to a simpler way of life, I can be of no service to others. As long as I am not at one with the earth that feeds me and shelters me and IS me, my actions cannot be pure and remain violent.
    So I like to think of it as me peacing out of (dis)functional society. One that I feel has failed me. One that teaches me to put my ego first, and to put my fellow peers and the planet second. One in which true happiness is
    lost. I have no interest in money, even less in career and reputation and don't care for a life of indulgence and luxury. I value simplicity, truth and self-inquiry and my goal is to become the best possible version of me in the most peaceful of ways, and hopefully at that point, my path in this world will become clearer to me.

    Jon, have you ever read any Krishnmurti? That man also changed my life. Deepak Chopra's Peace is the Way was also instrumental in me understanding just how violent many of the actions I consider non-violent, are.

    Anyways, so sorry for butting into this convo almost 2 years later and for writing this much!
    Thank you for a fantastic blog that I will keep up with.
    If you're at all interested in my blog documenting my life-style change and house-building, come to

    noahori.wordpress.com

    Sending love to you all,
    Ori

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oriana, thanks so much for your comment! It's wonderful to hear about your journey and inspiring to check out the blog. Beautiful! If I'm ever passing through those parts...

    Yes, Masanobu Fukuoka is a source of inspiration. Come to think of it, I'm surprised he's never found his way into one of the posts here. I know he influenced at least one eminent Swat associate of ours, Chris Edley, to drop out of school and begin his own journey of the heart, even if Chris would hate me for me to put it that way. He (MF) was definitely a driving force in the Prospero's Island experiment of Summer '07, which I'm sure you've heard about from Tut.

    I'm curious about the blotting brush--never heard of such a thing, as I haven't read Weston Price's work directly but only learned of it through Sally Fallon's book. I am, however, a dedicated tongue-scraperist, as per Ayurvedic tradition.

    I haven't read Krishnamurti but he's on my list. It's a hell of a list, but he'll get a major bump now that you recommend him. What would you suggest I start with?

    Hope to hear from you again on this site or to be in touch otherwise!
    Love, Jon

    ReplyDelete